- 1 When should new landscaping be installed?
- 2 When should you start landscaping in the spring?
- 3 When can you start planting in Colorado Springs?
- 4 What landscaping can be done in the winter?
- 5 What can you fall in for landscaping?
- 6 How do I put grass in my backyard?
- 7 How do I prepare my yard for spring?
- 8 How do I get my yard ready for spring?
- 9 Should you remove leaves from flower beds in spring?
- 10 What planting zone is Colorado Springs?
- 11 When can you start planting in Colorado?
- 12 What grow zone is Colorado Springs?
- 13 Is it cheaper to get landscaping done in the winter?
- 14 What do landscapers do in the off-season?
- 15 How do lawn care companies make money in winter?
When should new landscaping be installed?
The best time to begin landscaping and planting trees, shrubs, and perennials is in the months of April and May. These spring months will give your plants the opportunity to grow and acclimate during the summer and fall. However, the next best time to begin landscaping is the fall.
When should you start landscaping in the spring?
“I’d recommend at least the first of April,” he says. “The frost danger is usually over about the 10th of May.” That gap of about a month lets gardeners and landscapers know what they can get a head start on, and what needs to wait.
When can you start planting in Colorado Springs?
In April, start seedlings for broccoli, beets, carrots, brussels sprouts, onions, peas, and spinach indoors. In late May, you can move them outside. Peppers, tomatoes, and other leafy greens can be planted from seed in June. Plant beans, corn, cucumber, squash, and cauliflower in July.
What landscaping can be done in the winter?
Winter Lawn Prep Trimming back trees and shrubs. Removing dead plants from flower beds and planters. Draining sprinklers. Dethatching and aerating the lawn.
What can you fall in for landscaping?
Landscaping in the Fall
- Plants, Shrubs & Trees. Most landscape renovations involve adding new trees, shrubs and plants of all types.
- Lawn. Similar to plants, shrubs and trees, fall is also a good time to maintain, renovate or replace turf.
- Irrigation & Drainage.
- Don’t Feed Plants…
- Weed Control.
How do I put grass in my backyard?
For overseeding an existing lawn:
- Mow grass as short as possible.
- Loosen the top ¼ inch of soil in bare spots.
- Remove debris and dead grass.
- Level the areas where excess water collects.
- Fertilize the bare spots after overseeding with a starter fertilizer like GreenView Fairway Formula Seeding Success.
How do I prepare my yard for spring?
How to Prepare Your Lawn & Garden for Spring in 6 Simple Steps
- Do some cleaning.
- Apply fertilizer, pre-emergent and weed killer.
- Mow early, mow often.
- Pick a good, heavy mulch.
- Trim the trees.
- Don’t seed until fall.
How do I get my yard ready for spring?
21 tips to get your yard ready for spring
- Start your spring lawn prep by using a rake.
- Re-seed bare patches in your lawn.
- Check hand tools and equipment.
- Apply a 2- to 3-inch layer of mulch.
- Fertilize growing plants.
- Aerate your lawn.
- Prune any broken, diseased or dead limbs.
- Clear out weeds and last season’s garden debris.
Should you remove leaves from flower beds in spring?
It’s also a good idea to keep layers of leaves off of beds of fall- and winter-interest plantings like pansies for the same reason. A thick layer blocks sun and risks disease in wet weather. But leaving leaves and mulching over top of them in spring is an acceptable and ecologically safe option.
What planting zone is Colorado Springs?
Colorado Springs is in Sunset’s Zone 1, which is considered to be an area with the coldest winters. Their Web site is www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zones. The concept of a plant hardiness map was started at the Arnold Arboretum at Harvard University.
When can you start planting in Colorado?
Warm-weather seeds should be started in mid-March. Many Coloradans remember St. Patrick’s Day as the time to start seeds. Warm-weather seeds for tomatoes, peppers and eggplants cannot be sown outdoors after the mid-to-late May frost date — they won’t have time to mature.
What grow zone is Colorado Springs?
Colorado Springs, Colorado is in USDA Hardiness Zones 5a, 5b and 6a.
Is it cheaper to get landscaping done in the winter?
The fall and winter are considered as the off-season. During this time, you can take advantage of discounts and lower prices not just on landscaping materials but also by landscape professionals. If you want to achieve that dream outdoor area, this is the time to do it.
What do landscapers do in the off-season?
The most typical off-season work for landscapers is snow removal. They have the trucks already for summer use, so what’s adding a detachable snow plow to the front and plowing parking lots and driveways. But snow removal contracts can be great profit generators in the winter months for landscapers.
How do lawn care companies make money in winter?
How to Make Money Off-Season (Winter) in a Lawn Care Business
- Snow Removal.
- Winterization of Plants and Shrubs.
- Commercial Contracts for Next Year.
- Christmas Decorating.
- Indoor Services for Hotels, Business Complexes & More.
- Prepaid Renewals With Discounts.
- Firewood Delivery Service.
- Managing Your Winter Lawn Care Business.